- Special Reports
- Parish news
Parish Profile & Search Committees to be Formed: Deadline EXTENDED to June 19
The Vestry has approved an application process for those who have discerned a call to serve on the Parish Profile or Rector Search Committee. These committees will facilitate and perform the work necessary to name our next Rector.
Anyone who would like to be considered for service on either Committee is encouraged to apply by Monday, JUNE 19 (formerly May 22, 2017). Click here to download the application as a PDF. Applications can be filled out on the Trinity website or found at the Parish House reception desk.
What Are The Committees’ Responsibilities?
Parish Profile Committee: The job of the Parish Profile Committee is to produce a “brief” that provides rector candidates with a clear view of the parish and characteristics sought in our next rector. The Committee will create and execute a process to:
• Gather information on the parish from relevant past and current resources
• Design a self-study that may include various tools and exercises to ensure wide parishioner participation
• Regularly inform the parish about progress and findings
• Analyze and distill the research results
• Develop and produce a Parish Profile that concisely describes the parish: its strengths and challenges, hopes for the future, and characteristics and gifts for ministry desired in a new rector
Search Committee: the job of the Search Committee is to identify and screen candidates until it can recommend the person who best fits the role as Trinity’s next rector. Upon Vestry approval of the Parish Profile, it will develop and execute a process to:
• Seek, identify and screen potential candidates,
• Conduct visits to the candidates’ home parishes to experience their preaching and presence
• Regularly inform the parish on the progress of the process
• Serve as Trinity’s ambassador and advocate
• Build relationship with the candidate(s) to encourage participation and ultimately to accept a call
• Recommend one-two candidates for Vestry consideration
What Are Requirements For Committee Membership?
• Member in good standing, meaning one who regularly worships. pledges, and participates
• Feels called to serve in this unique and spiritual endeavor
• Open minded and sensitive to the culture and dreams of the congregation as a whole and not driven by particular agendas
• Ability to work collegially and safeguard confidentiality
• Follows through on tasks in a timely manner
• Ability to communicate with multiple stakeholders including the interim Rector, Senior Warden, and parishioners
• Ability to make a substantial time commitment, including:
o Attendance at weekly or bi-weekly meetings
o Attendance at a retreat with the Vestry on Saturday, June 17
o Serving for the full duration of the process; although we don’t know exactly how long our search process will take, the Profile phase could take 4 to 6 months. The work of the Search Committee could take another 8 to 12 months or more
• Search Committee members will be expected to travel multiple weekends
How Will Committee Members Be Selected?
The Vestry will be very intentional about building quality committees.
A sub-committee of the Vestry, comprised of Peter Lawrence, Mark Morrow, Geoff Smith, Marva Nathan, Keith Morgan, and The Rev. Bill Rich will review applications, and present to the Vestry their recommendations on the members for each committee.
The make-up of the committees will include:
• Approximately 9 to 12 members on each Committee
• Balanced representation of the parish regarding characteristics (such as age, gender, race, service regularly attended, length of membership, ministries served, etc.) and skills (such as organizational -- essential for the chair(s) of each committee; writing; graphic design; research design; facilitation; communications; leadership)
• Each Committee will have at least one Vestry member
Monday, June 19: Applications due (Deadline extended)
Wednesday, August 30: Slate of nominees approved by Vestry
First week in September: Committee members notified
Saturday and/or Sunday in late September: Retreat for Profile and Search Committees with Vestry
Thank you for your prayerful consideration in this important ministry.
- The Vestry of Trinity Church